DISTED is an established premier college in Penang offering a variety of programmes from pre-university to 3+0 university degrees. In view of our growth and expansion of the portfolios of programmes and the imminent relocation of our School of Hospitality Management to the George Town UNESCO Heritage site, we are now seeking inspired, committed, positive and performance-oriented people to fill the following vacancies:
- Dept/School : School of Language and Communications
- Vacancy No. : (1)
- Education : at least Master’s Degree in Communications field
- Years of Experience : at least 1 year of working experience in related field
- Skills : Working knowledge and skills in teaching
- Employment Type : Full Time / Part Time position
- Job Title : Lecturer
- Position : Academic Staff
- Report to : Head Of School
- Main duties and responsibilities : The Culinary Arts Lecturer is responsible for preparing students for careers in the hospitality industry and providing technical skills relevant to the actual work environment using the prescribed course curriculum.Perform the duties to include direct preparation and seasoning and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts or other food.May plan and price menu items, order supplies and keep records and accounts.Responsible for activities which consist of collaboration with specified personnel and plans and develops recipes and menus, determines production schedules and worker-time requirements to ensure timely delivery of services in the hospitality industry, estimates amounts and costs and requisitions supplies and equipment to ensure efficient operation, evaluates and solves procedural problems to ensure safe and efficient operations in the hospitality sector.To contribute to the successful design, delivery and development of curricula within the subject area.To carry out research, teaching and administration within the Department, especially in the area of events management.
To ensure that students are provided with a relevant and stimulating range of learning opportunities and experiences within the subject area, consistent with their overall objectives.
- Typical Work Activities : – To teach in areas allocated by the Head of School and reviewed from time to time by the Head of School. – To prepare and on the first day of class, distribute syllabus, which inform students about course requirements. grading requirements, testing assignments. absence policy. and other pertinent information for each course assigned. – To prepare, administer and grade assignments and examinations in a timely manner to inform students about their progress and to provide opportunities, which will allow students to succeed. – To coordinate and supervise teaching and lab activities including cooperative education component, in order to plan and promote the most effective instructional program possible. – To provide a safe environment for students and be responsible for the security of assigned equipment, materials and classrooms. – To work the required teaching load assigned with required designated office hours as deemed necessary to meet the teaching load needs. – To attend staff meeting, workshops/seminars and other scheduled activities as directed by the Director/HOS. – To use current technology to enhance institutional effectiveness including but not limited to computers, computer-assisted instruction programs, audio visual equipment and in addition be willing to learn and apply any other new technology necessary to enhance learning. – To carry out research and produce publications, or other research outputs, in line with personal objectives agreed in the Staff review process. – To contribute to the development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum. – To assist in the development of learning materials, preparing schemes of work and maintaining records to monitor student progress, achievement and attendance. – To participate in departmental and faculty seminars aimed at sharing research outcomes and building interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the department. – To participate in the development, administration and marking of exams and other assessments. – To provide pastoral care and support to students. – To act as academic advisor to students. – To supervise students in projects and field works. – To participate in the administration of the department’s programmes of study and other activities as requested. – To maintain own continuing professional development. – To market and promote the programmes in road show, open day and education fair. – To carry out talks and related activities with students in relation to marketing.
- Knowledge and Skills : – The person should have excellent organizational skills and leadership qualities. – Must have a strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programmes (preferably in Garde Manger, Bakery, Pastry, Planning Cost and Control and Food Nutrition). – Must have the ability to be creative and innovative. – Must be able to perform multi-tasking. – Should be enthusiastic about the work and work related challenges. – Must possess excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. – Must hold a minimum of a Master in Culinary Management. – Preferably with a minimum of 2 years work experience in the kitchen.
- Experienced in teaching A-Level and SACE International
- Academic qualification: degree or equivalent with a recognized teaching qualification
- Enthusiastic and motivated individual with the ability to engage with students to ensure they reach a full potential