The Library is located on the ground floor of the majestic building east of the academic wing at the DISTED Yap Chor Ee Heritage Campus.
The Library is part of the Tun Dr. Lim Chong Eu Library, a collaboration between DISTED Library and Wawasan Open University (WOU) Library.
The main aim is to provide a wide range of resources to fully support the learning and teaching at both institutions. All students of DISTED have access to the combined facilities and amenities of DISTED and WOU Library. In addition access to thousands of online full text e-journals and e-books in these areas is provided via DISTED MyDigitalLibrary made available through this cooperation. User ID and passwords to access these resources are available from the Main Service Counter at the DISTED Library.
The spacious air-conditioned Library is also well-stocked with physical resources including an up -to-date and comprehensive range of business, accountancy, psychology, hospitality, information technology, multimedia, electrical and electronic engineering, the sciences, language learning reference resources, newspapers and journals.
The collection can be accessed at WOU-DISTED catalogue.
Other services/facilities include:
- Learning Support Service to provide assistance with information resource discovery for research projects and assignments.
- Online renewal of loans.
- High-end workstations for internet access.
- Free wireless (Wi-Fi) access.
- Discussion rooms, group study zones and a quiet study zone.
- Chief Librarian
Ms Fairunizan Akbar Malik
- Assistant Librarian
Ms Nurul Anisah bt Mohamed Sultan
- Library Assistants
Mr Saravanan Karealim
World Health Organization (WHO) declared Covid-19 as a pandemic on March 11, 2020 stressing that the outbreak and the severity of the epidemic was alarming. Several countries in the world took the first step by implementing the Movement Control Order (MCO) to curb this epidemic.
DISTED College is responsible for ensuring Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) are followed as given by the Ministry of Health (MOH) and Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE). As a precautionary measure, compulsory screening of body temperature of all employees, students and visitors are recorded at the main entrance. Mandatory use of face masks especially in crowded places is practiced and hand sanitizers are provided in all departments.
DISTED Library which closed on 18 March 2020 also took precautionary measures based on the Guideline Managing Library Operations Post Movement Control Order (MCO) produced by the Medical Library Group (MLG) of the Librarians Association of Malaysia, when it reopened on 12 May 2020 as follows:
1. Hours of operations were shortened.
2. Provision of hand sanitizer at the entrance of the Library.
3. Seating distance of at least 1 meter between seats. This has reduced the seating from 184 seats to 58 seats.
4. Maintain physical distancing of 1 meter in other areas at all times.
5. Closing down some of the learning spaces such as Quiet Study Zone and Chill Out Zone.
6. Use of discussion rooms is only allowed for academic staff for online classes.
7. During the MCO period from 18 March 2020 until further notice, users were advised to renew books online. No late payment charges on books was imposed during that period for students. When returning books the borrower reads the accession number to the staff on duty to check in the books. Borrowers are asked to place the books in the black plastic bag provided, tie it up and put it in the “Quarantine Box for Returned Books” in an isolated area. Books returned will be cleaned with a microfiber cloth and shelved after four (4) days.
8. Appropriate signage were put in place and upgraded from time to time.
9. Surface cleaning daily especially on surfaces used by the publics like countertops, doorknobs, light switches and keyboards.
10. The librarians conducted synchronous online Information Skills classes using SKYPE.
11. Librarians answered enquiries from users using email and WhatsApp. This included supplying electronics copies of documents that were not in DISTED Library collections.
12. Use social media platform such as Facebook to post Library announcements.
DISTED Library is committed to ensuring that preventive measures are taken so that infections can be controlled and to break the chain of COVID 19. We need strong solidarity and unity; together we can fight against this common enemy.
STAY SAFE & STAY STRONG