The main Library is located on the ground floor of the majestic building east of the academic wing at the DISTED YCE Heritage Campus while the branch Library is on the first floor of the School of Hospitality Management.
The spacious air-conditioned Library is well-stocked with resources including:
Up-to-date and comprehensive range of business, accountancy, psychology, hospitality, information technology, multimedia, electrical and electronic engineering, the sciences, and language learning reference resources, and newspapers, print journals and reports.
The DISTED Library collection can be accessed at WOU-DISTED catalogue.
In addition access to thousands of online full text e-journals and e-books in these areas is provided via DISTED MyDigitalLibrary made available in collaboration with Wawasan Open University.
User ID and password are available from the Main Service Counters at the DISTED libraries.
Other services/facilities include:
- Learning Support Service to provide assistance with information resource discovery for research projects and assignments.
- Online renewal of loans.
- High-end workstations for internet access.
- Free wireless (Wi-Fi) access.
- Discussion rooms, group study zones and a quiet study zone.
Subject to review from time to time, the opening hours of the Library are normally as follows:
- During Academic Term: January – June & August – November
Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 7:00pm
- During Semester Break: July & December
Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 5:30pm
Closed on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday
Please click here to view the WOU Library opening hours.
- YCE Heritage Campus Main Library
10 December 2018 to 11 January 2019
Monday to Friday: 8.30am to 5.30pm
(Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.)
- School of Hospitality Management Library, China Street Ghaut
Students are reminded that the college’s Guidelines for Conduct and Behaviour as spelt out in the DISTED Student Handbook also apply in the Library.
In addition, every user of the Library will be required to adhere to the following:
- All users of the Library must visibly and clearly display their DISTED ID card on his/her person at all times while inside the Library. Anyone that failed to display their DISTED ID card will be asked to leave the Library premises immediately.
- Keep bags in lockers provided in the college. Remove all valuables from these bags. Do not leave valuables such as hand phones and wallets unattended on the study tables as the Library will not be responsible for any losses.
- Switch off hand phones or put them in silent / vibrate mode before entering the Library.
- Do not create noise that will disturb users of the Library. Library staff reserve the right to ask anyone causing disturbance to leave the Library.
- Users can bring in non-flavored water in spill-proof containers. Food or other beverages are not allowed.
- Do not damage the Library collections and properties.
- On leaving the Library, present all books and personal belongings for inspection if asked to do so by staff on duty.
Library membership is personal and may not be transferred or used by another person. The following are eligible for library membership:
- All students who have enrolled and paid all fees at DISTED College.
- Academic staff of the college.
- Non-academic (management, administrative and support) staff of the college.
- Staff and students of DISTED College partner institutions. This category of members will be charged a refundable deposit of RM400.00 and a fee of RM20 per month.
- Students enrolled at other institutions of higher learning, upon producing academic identification or verification letters from their educational institution may apply for membership. This category of membership is also extended to professionals in the field of education. Members in this category will be charged a refundable deposit of RM400.00 and an annual subscription of RM480.00.
- DISTED Alumni. Members in this category will be charged a refundable deposit of RM250.00, a one time registration fee of RM50.00 and an annual membership fee of RM20.00.
Users have to produce their identification during borrowing transaction. The borrowing privileges according to the category of users/collections and are as follows:
|Membership Category||Loans Limit (#)||Loans Period (days)|
|Open Shelf||Yellow Spot||Red Spot||Multimedia|
In addition, academic staff are allowed to borrow items from the Resource Collection for 90 days.
All books are subject to recall before the date due when urgently required by the Library.
Review notices that books are due as well as reminders for overdue books are routinely sent to users via email. Renewals can be made online via DISCAT from the Library iPortal using the My Account feature, or at the Main Service Counter before or on the due date.
Those who do not return borrowed items after the date due will be blacklisted and prohibited from further borrowing.
Members who fail to return borrowed items on time will be required to pay the charges as below:
|Item Class||Charges (Per Day Per Item)|
|Open shelf||RM 0.40|
|Open shelf/Yellow Spot||RM 2.00|
|Open shelf/Red Spot||RM 5.00|
|Textbook on loan||RM 5.00|
Any items lost or damaged while out on loan will have to be paid for. Book losses must be replaced by the borrower together with a processing fee of RM50.00 per book or by the Library at double the current cost.
For books that are out of print, the charges will be double the price of the book at the time it was purchased together with a processing fee of RM100.00 to source for a replacement.
Reservation of books on loan can be made via the web portal.
Users who fail to comply with Library regulations will be subject to revocation of library privileges, caution or warning notice, suspension or expulsion from the college.
The Library has an integrated collection of books, journals, magazines, newspapers, multimedia and electronic resources to serve the academic programmes of the college.
The Library collections are arranged in the following categories:
Main Loan Collections
- Open Shelf collection (including items with yellow and red spot labels)
- Graded readers
- Past examination papers
- Student project reports
- Bound/back issues of journals
- Main reference
- Current journals
- Daily newspapers
- Newspaper clippings
- College and university prospectuses
- Local school magazines
Resources for Academic Staff
- Closed Stack Collection
This has superseded editions / less frequently used books.
- Textbook Loan Scheme Collection
The college provides Cambridge A-Level and South Australian Matriculation students with a basic textbook loan scheme for the duration of their course. The Library is responsible for storing and distributing these books to the students.Students who are entitled to borrow from this collection will have to produce a claim form signed by the relevant head of school. Items taken from this collection have to be returned at the end of the course.Charge of RM5 per day will be imposed for items returned after the due date.
- Course Materials Collection
The Library is also responsible for distributing textbooks to students doing the Certified Accounting Technician (CAT) and Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) UK programmes.
Online Catalogue DISCAT
The Library catalogue has been merged with the Wawasan Open University (WOU) catalogue.
The author, title, year of publication, information about the subject content, location and loan conditions of every item in the library can be accessed via this web-based online catalogue. If users are unable to locate on the shelf items listed in DISCAT, please check with the staff on duty at the main service counter.
- DISTED MyDigitalLibrary
provides access to thousands of full text journals and books online databases to expand the range and quantity of good quality electronic resources. Access is provided in collaboration with Wawasan Open University. (Note : To login, DISTED staff and enrolled students can get the user ID and password from staff at Main Service Counter. For other categories including DISTED Alumni see the Librarian to use MyDigitalLibrary.)
- Oxford Reference Online
Access to English and bilingual dictionaries, subject encyclopedias, and reference titles in more than 27 subject areas from Oxford University Press.
- Oxford English Dictionary Online
Provides the meaning of over 600,000 words.
- EBSCOHOST Business Source Complete Collection
Access to more than 2,300 full text journals in all disciplines of business including marketing, management, MIS, production and operations management, accounting, finance and economics. Includes full-text non-journal content such as detailed company reports including SWOT analyses, market research reports, industry profiles and country economic reports.
- EBSCOHOST Computers and Applied Science Complete Collection
Materials related to the research and development spectrum of computing and applied sciences disciplines.
- EBSCOHOST eBooks Collection
References on business, finance, psychology and information technology.
Has more than 40,000 full text e-books in various academic disciplines.
- JSTOR (Art and Sciences I Collection)
Back issues of the core scholarly journals in economics, history, political science, and sociology, as well as in other key fields in the humanities and social sciences. This collection also contains titles in ecology, mathematics and statistics, business, education, law, psychology, public policy and administration.
- JSTOR (Art & Sciences IV Collection)
Back issues of the core scholarly journals in business, education, and law and also includes titles in psychology and public policy and administration.
- Malaysian Master Tax Guide Manual *
Electronic version of the Malaysian tax system guide. Added collections: Malaysian Companies and Securities Legislation, Malaysia and Singapore Company Law and Practice; Malaysian GAAP and Malaysia and Singapore Tax cases.
- Cambridge Books Online
Business, management and economics (micro and macro) topics.
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History (E-reference edition)
900 original articles by noted scholars from more than 25 countries. International in scope and spanning all time periods of human history.
Chicago Manual of Style Online (15th ed) – “state-of-the-art recommendations on editorial style and publishing practices in the digital age.”
- UDL Theses *
Full-text theses, dissertations and journals( from 1951 to current year) from selected Malaysian universities and Asean countries.
Reference books, reports and book summaries on business, finance and information technology.
- Anmol Publications
Encyclopedias and handbooks on education.
- Hart Publishing
International and copyright laws, intellectual property and world trade law.
- Emerald Management Xtra 80
Management journals from 1988.
- McKinsey Quarterly *
Business journal of McKinsey & Company which offers new ways of thinking about management in the private, public and non-profit sector.
- The Economist *
A premier journal source for the analysis of world business and current affairs.
- Harvard Business Review (Premium) *
Current and archive content on business related articles.
- Creative Review *
Magazine for visual communication.
- Times Higher Education
Current information resources on higher education, reports, news and jobs.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education (Global Edition)
News, jobs and information services of interest to faculty, administrators and students in the field of higher education.
- The Wall Street Journal *
U.S. and international business and financial news and issues.
- Malaysiakini.com *
Multilingual (English, Tamil and Malay) online newspaper with independent news and view on Malaysia.* Note: After login, additional authentication is required to enable full access.
Contact email@example.com or staff at the main service counter of the Library for assistance.
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
DISTED Library has a subscription to the electronic consolidated edition of the full set of standards, (eIFRS) issued by the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB). Contact the librarian to access the standards, including implementation guidance and the basis for conclusions.Note: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to access the standards including implementation guidance and the basis for conclusions.
- HELP UNIVERSITY Digital Library
Access provided in collaboration with HELP University and is restricted to DISTED lecturers and students of the HELP University Bachelor of Psychology (Hons) programme.Note: Contact Head of School / Programme Coordinator to get the user ID and password.
Three local papers are available for reading. These newspapers are located at the lobby area.
Card based/cashless multi function printer is available in the Library. User guides and policies are available via DISTED e-learn.
The library provides 8 computers for purposes directly connected with the academic programmes of the college as well as for accessing the Internet for education and research purposes.
The use of computers in the library is subject to the following order of usage priority:
- Carrying our research for course assignments or projects.
- Carrying our general research for educational purposes.
- Communication using e-mail for course related matters.
These computers shall not be used for the following purposes:
- To play games or access games on other computer systems.
- To access offensive or pornographic materials.
- For computer chatting (Internet relay chat).
- To circumvent or subvert security systems.
- For partisan political purposes.
- For personal financial gains.
Free wireless (Wi-Fi) access is provided at all the Library public areas and at all times when the Library is open.
The Library has created two study zones which are clearly marked with signs. The Quiet Study Zone is an area where silence must be observed so as not to interfere with individual quiet study.
The Group Study Zone is an area where it is acceptable to make a certain amount of noise while engaged in discussions and group study work. It is the responsibility of all users to select the area that best fits their study style so as not to disturb or be disturbed by others.
The Discussion Room is available for group use.
- Information Skills Workshops
The Library conducts user guidance and library education activities for all users. The objective is to introduce the library collections, facilities and services available as well as to guide users on how to use them. This includes guidance on how to use DISCAT and the electronics databases as well as how to cite references. Workshops related to specific topics are also conducted upon request from staff and students.
- Learning Support Service
The Librarians provide this service to users to assist them in their search for information for research projects and teaching and learning assignments.
Users can provide their comments, suggestions and complaints by filling up the Feedback Form available at the Feedback Box. Feedback forms together with our responses will be put on display on the notice board for one(1) month before they are transferred to the Feedback Forms From The Past File which is placed on the table in front of the Main Service Counter.
- Chief Librarian
Ms Fairunizan Akbar Malik
- Senior Librarian
Ms Rashidah Begum Fazal Mohamed
- Assistant Librarian
Mr Abdul Rashid Abd Kader
- Library Assistants
Mr Saravanan Karealim
Ms Nurul Anisah bt Mohamed Sultan
- Admin Executive
Ms Norhiza Mohamed Noor